Wednesday, July 29, 2015

What Worked Well Linky

Today I am joining my friends at Kinder Tribe for a What Worked Well link-up!



Line up dots!


I LOVE them!  I use a self-adhesive vinyl sheet.  Mine are about 5 and a half inches in diameter and were cut by my daughter using a Cricut machine.

Why use dots?  Well, here a a few reasons:
  • They add a great POP of color....and I LOVE color....the more the better!
  • They give kids a good sense of proper space. 
  • They can can be written on.  I write numbers on mine in black permanent marker.  (I did have to touch them up a few times throughout the year.)
  • They last!  Seriously.  I did not have to replace a single dot all year long.  
  • They come in lots of colors.  
  • They remove easily.  I was a tiny bit worried that I would be chased down the janitorial staff if those suckers stuck too tight....but VOILA!  They peeled off like magic!  



This year, I have moved into a new room, and I already have the dots down.  (Insert your own happy teacher dance here!)

If you try the dots in your classroom this year, or want to know more, leave me a comment!



9 comments:

  1. I love your idea of posting dots on the floor for the kids to line up. Each student could be assigned a certain number and that would be their line order spot for the year. No more "She cut me in line." If everyone is in line order than there will be no such thing as cutting. 123kteach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used vinyl dots. I had put calendar numbers down and covered them in packing tape to keep them in place and they were a pain to remove or replace. I'll have to try this next year. Thanks for sharing!
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried self adhesive vinyl! I LOVE my cricut. I am going to have to try that! Thank you for linking up!
    My Fabulous Class

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited that you used vinyl dots you made on a Cricut machine. I have a Cricut and have been wondering if I could make things from vinyl with it!! I have always wanted to try Dot Spots for lining up, since personal space has always been tricky for us when lining up. Was the sticky vinyl enough to keep them on the floor, or did you have to cover them with clear packing tape in order to get them to stay down?
    Thank you so much for sharing your tip with us, it was a great one! I'll definitely let you know if I try it this year!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original sticky from the adhesive vinyl kept them down all year long....no extra packing tape needed!

      Delete
  5. I love the line up dots! I've been seeing them around a lot recently. I wish I had a Cricut to make cute ones! I'm afraid they'll get all yucked up (I have both carpet and tile across the floor where they'd line up). Very cute way to add color to your room ;) As you can see, I love colors too :D Thanks for sharing!!
    -Kaia
    Kinder Colors

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this idea at a kindergarten conference with Kim Adsit in January and really want to try this! My only problem is that my room isn't long enough to put them all in one straight line. I might try doing two different rows perpendicular to one another. We'll see how it goes!!

    Carlee Van Ness
    The Kindergarten Press

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was planning on doing dots for a line this year, can't believe I didn't think of using vinyl! My custodians will be so happy with me! Thanks so much for your great idea!

    Deirdre
    Mrs. Garcia's Super Scholars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea Donna! I love the fun colors!

    ReplyDelete